The Alamo City Engineering Services internship program was developed using a self-directed model that highlights those with high initiative, dedication, and problem-solving skills. ACES interns expand their foundational skills and gain a broad understanding of cyber security and fields that are directly related to Information Technology.
The internship offers a unique opportunity to gain experience in the highly competitive field of cyber security and to obtain a glimpse into the world of intelligence and security. This ever-changing field requires professionals to be adaptable, quick-learning, and able to master the very latest technologies. The ACES internship offers complete immersion into the cyber security field.
The internship is best suited for those with a background in computer science, engineering, software engineering, networking, or system information management. Interns will have every opportunity to grow their skills and enhance their career potential. If you’re pursuing a degree, looking for your first job, or hoping to make a career change, a cyber security internship with ACES can take your skills and professional prospects to the next level.
The initial goal of the ACES internship is designed to help build foundational skills and to aid ACES personnel in determining what areas an intern may need additional training in to progress their career. Each intern will be required to research and analyze various technical fields that directly relate to cyber security. Some of the fields an ACES intern will be required to research and learn are below:
- Cyber Security
- Systems Administration
- Computer Networking
- Virtual Infrastructure Administration
- Software/Application Development
After the completion of the initial goals, an intern review and assessments are performed to help determine the progress and path forward for the intern. Additional goals or assignments may be needed to help reinforce the foundational skills needed to succeed in the cyber security field. Once the intern has shown a good understanding of the initial goals then a certification path will be decided based on the intern’s progress and career path.
ACES interns are given four months to obtain an industry standard certification to help them prepare for a career in Cyber Security. Security+ is the preferred certification, but it is not required to maintain an internship with ACES. Some of the benefits of obtaining Security+:
- The objectives given to interns during their internship are tied to ACES internal benchmarks as well as the CompTIA standards for the CompTIA Security+ test.
- Why Security+? ACES handles many Department of Defense (DoD) customers; to access the information systems on customer sites, we need to comply with their regulations for training in information assurance. These requirements are governed by a DoD regulation known as the DoDI 8140 (previously 8570).
- The Security+ certification meets the requirements of the DoDI 8140 Information Assurance Technician (IAT) Level II – the most common level required to support these contracts. By having our interns obtain Security+ we ensure they have met the most common minimum requirement to work on a DoD network in an information assurance role.
Benefits of the ACES Cyber Security Internship:
- Paid internship
- Paid to obtain an industry standard certification
- Remote and in-person cyber security internships
- Flexible schedules
- Vendor product training and certifications
- Connect with like-minded individuals and build relationships with managers, teammates, and other interns
- Mentoring and networking
- Opportunity for direct hire
Responsibilities of an ACES Cyber Security internship may include:
- Research and information analysis
- Analyzing and making recommendations for existing processes or procedures
- Vendor or Product Research
- Technical Documentation
- Project Management
Program Length: Permanent
- Currently there is no end date for this internship.
- The pay rate is $15.00 an hour for up to 40 hours a month
- 10-hour week minimum
Location: San Antonio, TX
- ACES currently offers in-person or remote cyber security internships for added flexibility.
Education: Pursuing a degree in Cyber Security
- Must live in a HUBZone. The HUBZone address MUST be on your driver’s license before hire.
- Must maintain residency in a HUBZone throughout the internship.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
- Must be able to work 40 hours a month (10-hour week minimum).
- Any vendor recognized certifications such as Security+, Network+, CCNA, etc. is a plus.
ACES is committed to providing a learning environment that not only helps ACES grow but also helps our interns gain the necessary experience and skills needed to succeed in any position they obtain. One of the benefits of joining the ACES internship is that we are always looking to hire within the company. Some of our engineers started out as interns and were hired on due to their hard work and dedication throughout their internship with ACES.
If you are a student, parent, professional, or envision yourself in a location-independent career in the future check out the ACES internship program to help boost your career to the next level.
- Careers – Alamo City Engineering Services (aces.biz)
- Cyber Security Intern | Alamo City Engineering Services, Inc | Handshake (joinhandshake.com)